Monday, April 16, 2012

Surv or MM for bad gear/5-mans?

so, I hit 85 last night and picked up a marksmanship spec to run 5-mans with while I try to gear up... I ran Grim Batol and it felt pretty terrible, though. my boss dps was great, but I was getting off maybe one aimed shot on trash and I felt pretty useless.

would I be better of picking up a Surv built (or, gasp, even going back to BM?)
Don't worry about aimed on trash if it's dying that fast. Misdirected MS (when it won't break any CC or pull other mobs that may be close by) followed by normal Chimera, SSx2, Arcane, SSx2 - repeat.. should get you decent results. Alternately, if you're running with a tank you know, you could (with his full understanding and approval) practice pulling larger single trash with misdirected Aimed (I'm of the mind that Aimed isn't intended to be a hardcast focus dump anyway, just a cast to pull.. yes I know you CAN eek out a tiny bit more dps doing it, I just don't think it was meant to be done that way by Bliz, hence the nerf to CA from 80% to 90% to counteract that somewhat). Just have him mark what he wants you to pull to him, thought this can be tedious unless you're on vent. Once you start pulling you have a whole other world of responsibility in making sure everybody is ready, healers have mana, etc.
I would try out Surv. If you are CCing alot, when you lauch a Freezing trap your going to proc LnL right off the start and you have wyvern sting as a second CC. Also, your traps are abit faster and last a bit longer. Serpent Spread will help out with your AoE DPS.

You will also be bring Hunting Party Haste buff, which will help out with the groups DPS.

My Suggested Survival Spec
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ccZfMZcrhcMhrRsk:Rms0RzM0m

As Survival Hunter, you'll bring alot more Utility in Reg Heroics then a Fresh MM would, imo. If you want to be BM (I suck at that spec) I woud say bring a Spirit Beast (Agi/Str Buff and Heal), Devilsaur (+5% Crit), Corehound (Bloodlust) and whatever 2 other pets you think would be good.
how much do hunters benefit from the +8% spell damage debuff from wind serpents?

my usual 5-man party consists of a prot warrior, cat druid, resto druid, me, and a random... so I'm thinking the agi/str buff and 5% crit buffs are already covered?
Your Prot Warrior could use Commanding Shout and you could use a Cat for the Agi/Str Buff.

Not too sure on how much we benefit from +8% Debuff, but we do benefit from it. You could also use a Ravager for the +4% Physical Debuff, and that would help you, your tank and your Kitty alot more then the Wind Serpent.
I second the ravager for running 5-mans. Especially if the other buffs are covered by your group.
I ran SV for 5 mans until I geared up enough to run troll heroics. SV does great AOE damage and is loose enough with the rotation that you won't have to worry about it in boss fights. As far as pets go, just run the pet that benefits the group since you can carry 5 at a time. I ended up running my wolf more often than my kitty.


thanks for all the tips!

I think I'm going to go pick up that one rare-ish Ravager in the Draenei starting zone, respec Surv, and give it a shot for my nightly 5-man today
I raid MM but when I do 5 mans I prefer Surv if I happen to have a spec when I'm doing it.
SV does more DPS than MM at lower gear levels, MM doesn't start taking over until you're around 359 ilvl. It also has slightly more utility in heroics thanks to wyvern sting, if your group is gearing up and since from your usual party of 4 you are the only one with any real cc (roots/hibernate are situational, since they rely on having a melee or beast that needs cc'ing), being able to trap one and sting another would be handy for you.
Do the one you like more, but if you're not sure roll with MM.
SV
Survival

Pet stable of Cat, Wolf, and Wind Serpent will cover you in all possible 5 man comps.
Pick a spec and practice it during those Heroics. People tend not to judge you based on trash DPS. But in general, people outgear heroics these days, so spending time on Aimed Shot isn't really suggested. Multishot and your spec-supported focus gaining shot should be your two most used abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment